Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Heads Up with Scott Fischman

Last night in the Omaha H/L 5k guarantee on FTP I experienced what probably was my most memorable tournament finish on FTP to date. Although I ended up taking 2nd it was the intense heads up battle for 1st with 2 time WSOP bracelet winner Scott Fischman that I will take away as validation of my skill level in this particular game.
Entering the final table I was right at the chip average after being chip leader most of the second half of the tourney. As the limits increased, the field got whittled away until it got down to 3. I was at roughly 75k, Scott was the chip leader with about 150k and the short stack was down to about 25k. It took only a few hand before Scott was able to take out the short stack and we entered heads up play with Scott out-chipping me by more than 2 to 1. At that point the intense struggle for 1st place began. Scott took the first couple of hands with little resistance and put me down to roughly 40k. At that point I made a few nice hands and was able to take the chip lead at one point by about 50k. The battle continued back and forth for about the next 40 minutes with each of us taking the lead at least 4 or 5 times. With the blinds at 8k/16k I lost a couple of crucial hands in a row, unable to complete either end of some nice looking drawing hands and was crippled to about 25k. The tournament ended soon after that concluding a 45 min. heads up tug-of-war that I will not soon forget. Even though I didn't win, I took away great satisfaction and confidence from this game. And the $1081.00 2nd place cash wasn't too bad either.
I know that Scott will remember snookondahook as a formidable adversary and further validates the WHPG as a force to deal with in online poker tournaments.

1 comment:

J-Matrix said...

Awesome finish snook! Congrats.

You have proved that you are an excellent tournament and cash game Omaha H/L player.

It may be time for you to enter the Pokerstars $215 limit Omaha H/L tournament that takes place every Sunday at 9:30 PM EST. There is a $39 buy-in satellite for it on the same day at $4:35 PM. I'm reluctant to enter this one because I would have to multi-table this event along with the Full Tilt $216 HORSE. Right now I don't multi-table 2 high stakes tourneys. However, this could change in the near future.